Thursday, December 11, 2014

Boycott Campaign on Winter Olympics

I happen to read an article about dog meat. An animal protection group is against the Winter Olympics in Korea and has held a boycott campaign because Korean people eat dog meat.
They said an estimated 2.5 million dogs are slaughtered and eaten as health food each year in Korea. In addition they import millions of dog meat from China. This kind of anti campaigns were held some times before, 1988 Olympics and 2002 FIFA World Cup. 
I really like dogs as pets, so the article is disgusting to me. It's easy to criticize the custom, but come to think of it, we couldn't. 
You might eat beef, pork, chicken and even some Japane eat whale meat. What's the difference? Even abandoned pets are killed in many advanced countries. 
You cannot live on without taking in living things. You mustn't forget the fact. 
But dogs....

2 comments:

Damien said...

There are some people who eat dog meat in Vietnam. Actually, when I lived in Vietnam, I tried to do it once. I didn't think it was tasty. Dogs for eating are distinguished from dogs for pet in Vietnam. I don't know who hold the boycott, but basically some of western people tend to critisize Asian cultures based on their culture. I think it would be difficult for them to put themselves in other culture.

Mako said...

Thanks for the comment. Yes, the western people think they are right. Someone said WAR comes from We Are Right. We have to think of others.