Saturday, December 6, 2014

Phobia or Fear?

I wrote a blog about phobias the day before yesterday. After that I checked some articles about phobias and I found that I had overlooked the difference between phobias and fears. I thought a phobia is just a strong feeling of a fear, but I was wrong. 
Fear is normal feeling and it even prevents us from dangers. Fear makes our quick response for protect ourselves. 
On the other hands, phobia is unreasonable feeling of fear that you yourself already realized it and you cannot control it. 
For example, if you face a big snarling Doberman without a leash, you would be afraid of it. It's a normal feeling of fear. But if you fear a cute chihuahua or a friendly poodle on a leash in a distance, you might have a dog phobia or cynophobia. 
Another example is that if you are afraid of being high placeses like being on the top of a high ladder, it's normal. But if you reject a good job because the office is on the 10th floor of the building, you might have a phobia. 
I don't like standing at a high placeses, but I would be normal. It's just a fear of heights.
Do you have any problems of fear?


Click to Vote! 日本ブログ村

No comments: